Degrees and Certifications:
My How: I tried my best not to teach, my parents were both teachers and we weren't rich! I was a good student, but indecisive. I tried seven majors; from Art, Environmental Science, to finally landing on International Studies with an Asian Studies focus. As a Korean American, this was my way to gain cultural awareness. I also minored in Political Science and thought someday I would go into International Law or work for an NGO. However, I graduated at the time of the recession and was quickly disillusioned and learned that a BA doesn't mean you're hired to Amnesty International. So I traveled and eventually taught ESL in Thailand. I chose teaching as a career, and went back for my teaching cert. I found all my reasons, then chose my career, but it was a long process!
- MY WHY:
- I want to give back and serve my community.
- I enjoy the curious nature of children.
- I know all students can learn.
- I believe students learn best when doing things they love. By engaging them in hands-on, experiential, playful, learning games.
- Kids are our future.
- They deserve compassion and understanding.
- I like teaching about cultural and ethnic diversity.
- I just like teaching!