James Madison Elementary School
“The advancement and diffusion of knowledge is the only guardian of true liberty.”
James Madison Elementary School began construction in the year 1964. An official Dedication Ceremony was celebrated on November 19th, 1964. Our first principal was Mr. Clifford Redding.
Madison Elementary was named after President James Madison (March 16, 1751 – June 28, 1836). James Madison was an American statesman and Founding Father from Virginia. He served as the fourth President of the United States from 1809 to 1817. He is known as the “Father of the Bill of Rights” for his role in drafting the first 10 amendments to the Constitution during the first Congress.
The students who attended Madison that first year chose "The Minutemen" for the school mascot. In subsequent years the mascot was changed to "The Mavericks”.
Madison Elementary has two Montpelier Red Maple trees planted in front of the school. They came from James Madison's Orange County, Virginia estate. Madison's student council helped plant the trees, along with Mr. Morris, a parent who donated the trees to the school.